The iPhone is altering the way service professionals do business. Powerful and portable the iPhone is much more than the most recent guy toy. It’s a notable asset for any CPA.
Right out of the box your iPhone is a powerful tool, but to really get the most of it there are a number of apps designed to help you run your practice on the move. Here are some of my favorites.
Want to know the best part? They’re all free!
1. Trip Tracker – Keep track of your travel itineraries with Trip Tracker. This is a powerful fully automated app that’s easy to use. All you have to do is register your frequent flier and hotel rewards numbers on the site and your complete itinerary will automatically be displayed in the program. Status and changes are updated via push notifications.
2. GateMaps – The perfect application for quick transfers. The application currently supports: Atlanta (ATL), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), John F. Kennedy (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX), and Miami International (MIA). Currently GateMaps only offers maps for the terminals at these five major hubs. Not to worry, though. More are coming soon.
3. Skype – You probably already use Skype on your PC or laptop, but they also have a great mobile app. If you’re an international traveler who likes to pinch pennies this is a great app for you. Call Skype-to-Skype for no charge over Wi-Fi, or use the built-in instant messaging feature. Unfortunately skype has recently started charging for using skype over cellular connections.
4. Yelp – If you’re new in town and looking for a place to eat, this application provides user-reviewed restaurants, bars, and shops.
5. Unit Conversion – This handy app is a must for the international traveler. It provides up-to-date currency conversions on demand.
6. Taxi Magic – This app handily allows you to call a cab at the touch of a button. All you need to do is enter your pick-up location and the app does the rest. You don’t even need to make a phone call. Taxi Magic automatically finds the nearest taxi dispatcher and arranges a ride. You can even monitor the cab’s progress via GPS. This application is available in most major cities in the United States.
7. Bump – A utility that allows you to transfer contact information, pictures, and notes with other iPhone users quickly and easily by holding the phones next to each other. Think of it as an iPhone business card, only better. Your card is a lot less likely to wind up in the laundry if it’s on someone’s smart phone.
8. Expensify – Eliminate the burden of lugging all your receipts from your trip around with you with Expensify. It compiles your expenses as you go and packages them up into a report that’s IRS-friendly. Data entry? Now would I do that to you? All you need to do is take a snapshot of the receipt.
9. HopStop – This app turns your iPhone into a public-transportation-sensitive GPS of sorts. By inputting your start and end location, your route will be calculated, taking into account buses, trains, transfers, and turns, and always getting you there as quickly as possible.
10. World Customs and Cultures – Lessen the chances of cultural missteps with this app, which compiles a list of local customs so you can avoid offending important clients.
Business travel can be a royal pain, but with an iPhone and a few first-class programs you can make your business trips lots simpler – and perhaps even fun!
Brian O’Connell is the owner and founder of CPA Site Solutions, one of the country’s leading web design companies oriented exclusively to CPA sites. His company currently provides websites for more than 4000 CPA and accounting firms.
It won’t save you from “enhanced patdowns,” but an iPhone app from the TSA tries to ease the pain of air travel by offering guidance on prohibited items, sec…
Video Rating: 2 / 5